Monday, August 20, 2012

The End



  Little did I know at the time that one of the last photos (above) I took on my first day at the Salton Sea would be the last of my 2 month+ road trip.

   I returned to the motel in Calipatria after dark and noticed several roaches on the walls of my room.  At 10 pm as the office was closing I asked for a fly swatter and when I walked back to my room and looked up outside my door - I discovered the patio ceiling was covered with hundreds of baby roaches!  (and no, the photo above isn't the hotel).

   By midnight I convinced myself I'd not be able to sleep in that room.  It was still over 100 degrees out as I started packing up.  Sweat was dripping everywhere as I made a call and found a 24 hr gas station open in Brawley.

    At 1 a.m. I started the long lonely drive into the mountains east of San Diego.  There were only a couple of us on the Interstate at that hour.  I arrived back in San Diego at 3:30 am - a trip that started in a massive AZ dust storm, ended 68 days later in a massive roach fest!

   Salton Sea graffiti.

No comments: