Monday, September 29, 2008

A Testy Festy

Driving east out of Missoula, MT, I figured I well missed the festival - but for 19 miles I wondered in anticipation if the gift shop might have some unusual interesting items.



No one seemed to be around The Nutshack, the place was deserted.


Inside I found Kristen sitting at a lone table using her laptop to surf the web. She told me to feel free to look around and take any gifts to the food counter to be rung up. Other than a bunch of t-shirts from the festival, a few postcards were for sale with some camping gear.

Kristen told me I could sample The Balls for $1.00. She said they were deep fried and tasted like chicken. They'd be glad to start up the fryer for me. I didn't know whether I'd be able to chew into one or not.

As I heard a cook rustling around, Kristen told me about the Festival. She said they moved it to the weekend before Sturgis and now get 8 - 10,000 - mostly some pretty wild types who ride in on big bikes. They camp all over the fields nearby and after a night or so, many are wandering around naked, only wearing their happy party moods.

Events include a hairy chest and wet t-shirt contest. Bull Bingo is played - betting on the squares in a penned area, where the bull might have to relieve himself.


When I asked more about the bulls, Kristen went into the kitchen and wearing gloves brought a whole testy out for me to see and touch. She described how they remove a membrane and thin slice the partially frozen organ. The cook came out of the kitchen while I tasted my dish and made a *YUKKY* food face at me. Surprised, I asked him, "But of course you eat these, right?" He replied he always does that to tease first tasters.

Surprisingly these munchy little slices were really good. They use an awesome batter to fry them - they were little, tender and round like fried zuchinni - that's what I pretended they were. I'm not sure they tasted like chicken, they reminded me of beef heart my mother used to cook when I was a kid - a more concentrated, sweet flavor than muscle meat.

As the 3 of us stood around and laughed, I wondered where the rest of the party organs go - but no one knew . . .

No comments: