Friday, September 26, 2008

Wed - driving through Washington

Wednesday driving I-90 East through Washington, was less than inspiring. Before I left the North Bend area, I stopped at the train museum in Snoqualmie (I still can't pronounce it) - a bigger pile of rust I've never seen. The smoke stack below is even growning evergreens at its base.

They have a very interesting and well kept museum/train store though. I found a book on the history of "Dining on Trains" and bought it because each chapter has dozens of interesting historical photos.



But heading east I felt as down, drab and depressed as this metal. B said I've been spoiled with British Columbia and Desolation Sound. He could be right. I-90E is at first a beautiful drive through the wooded lush Cascade Mountains - but the range isn't wide like the Rockies. At 65mph soon you're through them and eastern WA is nearly as flat and dry as Anza Borrego.



Almost to Spokane crossing the Columbia River that runs north and south in the mid part of WA, Wild Horse Monument sat proud and impressive on a hill above the water and a pull out. The dozen or so iron statues looked hikeable, so I drove a dirt road from the observation area, parked and headed out on foot.

I think I climbed within about 30 ft of the top. I made the mistake of carrying both cameras/extra batteries (cell phone for safety and keys) and when the sand, gravel and rocks got too steep and slippery, I had no choice but to head back down. I just didn't have enough hands or free grip to get over the rocks and bushes. That sucked but the view was pretty spectacular from up as high up as I could go.



No comments: