Wednesday, June 27, 2012

To Bayfield WI and Beyond


  We drove through Ashland, WI on our way to Bayfield - stopped at the ruins of a loading dock for an iron ore company.  It felt like it stretched to the middle of Lake Superior.



Down by the dock in Bayfield, Wisconsin.


 Bayfield has a corner where the main street meets the water.  I think the whole town must slowly amble by this bend.  I stayed at the Bay Front Inn several years ago and this time as well.  We shared a balcony with other rooms.  Early morning the streets were quiet.


The first thing I wanted to revisit was the old Cooperage barn - this is where I stood and took the photo that has been used as a book cover.  Looks a whole lot different now.  (I'll add my book cover photo here later when I can dig it out).

    We walked Bayfield for two days - docks (new and old), tiny shops, hilly streets - but one thing that captured our attention was a group of little birds (swifts maybe?) who made mud nests under the overhand of a 2-story dock building.  We watched as the tireless parents flew back and forth feeding their chicks.  There were 4 separate nests . . . neighbors - what capable parents they were . .. until I looked down --




 -- and littered at my feet - I had to carefully step around all the dead bodies . . .  sibling rivalry?  sloppy parenting?  murderous neighbors?    . . . so sad . . .


  Our 3rd day we left Bayfield and drove west, the northern edge of Wisconsin along Lake Superior - lots of woods, countryside and some very small towns.  (the small print says, "and working on more")

   After the massive storm that destroyed so much in Duluth last week (west of us) - Lake Superior looked pink with all the mud runoff.



No comments: