Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Calamity Jane, South Dakota

Her dying words were, "Bury me beside Wild Bill" and it was honored. From Boot Hill (Mt. Moriah Cemetery) both she and Bill have this view over the famous mining town of Deadwood, South Dakota.






That's her grave on the right and his with a statue on the left.


He was shot in the back during a card game. It's said he was holding a black pair of aces and eights, now known as the 'dead man's hand'.

I'm a couple of hours from Mt. Rushmore this morning. I bought a DVD yesterday on the making of the granite monument and watched it last night. It was full of old movie footage and photos of the men hanging from cables over those cliffs, sometimes in the dead of winter, chipping and dynamiting rock. What an amazing feat they accomplished, I can't wait to see it.




1 comment:

Betty Clark said...

It's on my list. I want to see it.