Sunday, October 5, 2008

La Crosse, WI - not!

I crossed the Mississippi River last night, thought I had plenty of time to find lodging and by dark o'clock/very late - I still was being told, "I'm sorry, we're completely full tonite". I drove to nearby towns and they were totally occupied too. I really thought it might be the first time I camp in the driver's seat over night, geeeeez.


It felt like I nearly drove to Madison, WI. I finally found a nice room in Tomah, WI and when I told the male clerk my dread of sleeping in the jeep - he replied, "Wow! I'd love to sleep in that car!" {groan}


But as long as it took me to find a place last night, it's taking me longer to leave this part of WI. In the heavy pouring rain this morning, I wandered St. Mary's Cemetery in Tomah . . .



. . . and then parked by the River in La Crosse with a snack while watching a crew of carnival workers pack up their equipment.



Maybe they were part of the OctoberFest that filled all the rooms last nite.


Lots of homes here in La Crosse are all set for Halloween.


I'm finding just a few fall colors. In this part of WI, the change hasn't happened much yet.

1 comment:

armcmahon said...

Hi Nola, am enjoying your pictures. Are those houses on the bank of the Mississippi River aaor are they houseboats? It's hard for me to see. It would be so nice to have the peace and contentment of that serene river right in your own back yard!
Arlene