Friday, October 3, 2008

Devil's Tower, WY

Seen from afar, Devil's Tower looks out of place on an otherwise flat landscape. It was formed totally underground millions of years ago, a plug of lava released from a crack in the earth. Over millions of years the earth has worn away and the hard rock remains.


I got to the park late as the sun was almost setting and wasn't sure about stopping or not. The Visitor/Info center was closed but I was able to find a ranger and ask him about hiking whether it was safe to go alone or not. He assured me the 1.3 mile hike around the base of the Tower was.




The small parking lot was nearly empty, only two cars. Starting out, I passed only one other couple completing the hike and returning to their car - and then it was silent! I walked the rocky path and experienced that awesome feeling of complete quiet . . . I let my thoughts just flow . . .



. . . then up ahead in the dimming sunlight I could see pieces of cloth hanging from the branches of a dead bush in the rocks. Thinking some kids had been joking around and tossed their underwear . . .






. . . then I turned a corner and found this sign along the path and that's when I thought I heard voices . . .

I looked up and could barely see two climbers high up on the tower, nearly at the top!


I finished my hike in the twilight, the eastern side was shady and nearly dark. The mile+ solitary hike wasn't lonely, I felt invigorated and renewed. I was so happy I decided to make the hike after all. I wanted to drive back to the Tower park in the morning and buy a hiking stick medallion as my souvenir. I was looking forward to seeing more of the park and maybe experiencing a little of that relaxing soundlessness again.


Purchasing my medallion in the quiet gift shop early the next morning, I suddenly heard a loud commotion outside - dozens of voices. The sales clerk said, "Oh, it must be Tuesday - the tourist busses are arriving".


And sure enough the parking lot came alive with a huge Asian tour group - they poured into the shop while another group hastily walked to the park signs and excitedly pulled out their cameras.


Soon all 50 or so were taking turns clamoring and laughing loudly as they climbed on the rocks for their portraits. I grabbed my medallion and hit the roads!

No comments: